Summer Band Is Comming!!!
Hello Returning and Future Ram Band Members!
Marching season is just around the corner, so now is the perfect time to get completely prepared for Day 1 of marching band! Don’t wait to get these things done, otherwise you will find yourself behind. Get it done now so more fun can be had later!
First, I would like to talk about health. As many of you experience, the heat is brutal. To protect every students’ opportunity to perform at 100% during all of our practices, make sure all medications, inhalers, and health precautions are taken well in advance. Marching band is an athletic activity, and to remain competitive we must be at our top physical condition. This also includes some physical exercise to prepare for the demands of the season. Here are a few suggestions to prepare your body:
- All water, NO soda or juice (seriously, I already lost a decent 4 lbs. just by not drinking soda)
- Go outside for at least 30 minutes a day in the morning and do some light movement
- Go outside for at least 5 minutes a day at the hottest part of the day (NO exercise; just familiarize yourself with the heat)
- Do some indoor aerobics! Here’s a program to get your heart rate up:
- 20 seconds jumping jacks
- 20 seconds high-knee run
- 20 seconds butt-kick run
- 5 burpees
- 20 second mason twists
- rest for 1 minute
- repeat 4 times
- Do some light stretching of legs and core (upward dog and L-Stretches)
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day starting NOW (it takes time for the body to hydrate; if you’re thirsty, YOU’RE ALREADY DEHYDRATED!)
Now, onto equipment. Now is the best time to get the equipment you need right on time! Online ordering should get you your supplies by mid-week next week, so you will have a chance to break everything in. Here is a checklist of equipment, as well as links to where you can buy said equipment:
All Band Member Required Equipment
- Flip Folders, Lyres, and Flip Folder Sheets (make sure you purchase the correct lyre for YOUR instrument)!
- Take all broken instruments to Hillje Music or High School Music for repair. Broken instruments do not warrant us holding your marching spot.
- Athletic white t-shirts (Walmart, Target, or any store with just white; no graphics)
- Athletic shoes
- Long black sock (knee level)
- Plain black t-shirt (for under uniform; section and show shirts qualify)
Brass Member Required Equipment
- Valve Oil
- Slide Grease
- Un-stuck tuning slides (repair it!)
Woodwind Member Required Equipment
- Any of the reeds below, but must be size 3.5 (3 1/2) or more!
- D’addario Reserve Classic Reeds
- Andreas Eastman Esperto Reeds
- Vandoren Traditional reeds (Blue box; NOT V21)
- Cork Grease
- [to be announced by Mrs. Ramirez]
- [to be announced by Mr. Tabb and Mr. McWhorter]
Nice-To-Have Equipment (you will probably want these, but they are not required)
- Large beach towel (for stretching on asphalt)
- Sun Screen
- Musician’s Earplugs (especially percussionists)
And, of course, make sure to play your instrument plenty leading up to band camp. Remember how much time we spend playing Concert F? It is every band directors dream to play Concert F that much. I never got into this for the “music,” I just wanted to hear that pitch ring in my ears for all eternity. Please rob me of this joy by practicing LOTS of long tones on your own with a tuner. 30 minutes a day is all you need to ruin my dreams 🙂
I thank you all for your dedication. I can’t wait to see all of your lovely, sun-tanned faces in a few weeks!
Ram Band Staff