- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a paid member of the JMHS Band Booster Organization.
- Must have completed an NISD background check (on NISD website)
- Must wear chaperoning attire: Band Booster polo, black pants, shorts or capris, and tennis shoes.
- On arrival, please check in at the Chaperone Check in/Check out Station where you will obtain a Booster badge and your assigned duty. Your Booster Badge will identify you to the students and permit you to enter the stadium.
- Identify who the assigned First Aid Chaperone(s) is for the game/competition. In the event a medical issue arises, you will need to notify the First Aid Chaperone(s) and Band Directors.
- If needed, assist Trailer Crew with loading of equipment and supplies into the trailer.
- Remind students to fill their camel packs with water prior to departure.
Preparing For Trip To Stadium:
- We will need a minimum of 2 chaperones per bus.
- The Lead Chaperone on each bus will place the bus number sign in the front window, take attendance prior to leaving for event (using roster supplied in bus bag), and notify bus driver/Band Directors that all students are accounted for and the bus is ready to leave. Once the bus is ready to depart, remove the bus number sign. Trailer Crew members and Band Directors are usually last to board the bus. Lead Chaperone must stay with students until they are released to the stands/competition. All other chaperones will depart bus on arrival to begin their assigned duties.
While On The Bus:
- Ensure that all students display appropriate behavior. No body parts should ever be outside the bus windows. There is to be no obscene language, obscene gestures, or loud rebel rousing. Throwing objects in the bus is forbidden.
- Cell phones are not allowed while in full uniform. Cell phones/IPods are allowed on the bus as long as earphones are used. Students are responsible for their personal possessions.
- Students should remain in their seat and may not move around the bus while it is in motion.
- Students are not allowed to play instruments on the bus.
- Overt public displays of affection (PDAs) are not allowed.
- Persuasive verbal correction to behavior is our responsibility. Anything beyond this is the responsibility of the Band Directors. If you have any problems with students being disrespectful or refusing to follow instructions, please report it to the Band Directors.
- Do not be afraid to separate students who are problems (couples, troublemakers, etc.).
- Please do not sleep on the bus. Chaperones must remain awake and alert to supervise at all times.
Unloading And Preparing The Stands:
- Once at the stadium, wait for instructions from the Band Directors for when students should get off the bus and where they are to go.
- Lead Chaperones will place the bus number sign in the front window and walk with the band to the stadium to ensure no spectators break the ranks of the band.
- All other Chaperones should proceed to the stadium to prepare the stands and/or unload equipment.
- Do not allow non-band members to enter the band section of the stands. This includes other parents who are not chaperones for that event. Band Directors must approve exceptions to this rule.
- Chaperones will be evenly stationed on both sides of the band section in the stadium.
- If a student has to leave the stands for any reason, a Chaperone must accompany that student. A Chaperone may take a maximum of 4 students to the restroom.
- Please do not consume food or drink (other than water) while on Chaperone duty.
- About 8 minutes before the half-time show, students will head down to the field. Chaperones assigned to Field Equipment Duty, First Aid Duty and Plume Duty will exit the stands with the students.
- Chaperones assigned to Stand Duty during Half-Time will remain in the band section of the stadium to keep a watchful eye over the student’s purses, backpacks, and other items. Trash in the band section should be picked up at this time.
- Under no circumstances can a parent take his/her child from a band function (football game, contest, out-of- town trip, etc.) unless it has been cleared and approved by the Band Directors.
- Pick up all trash from the stands where the band was. The stands should be completely clean when we leave.
- Leave trash bags neatly by other stadium trash.
- Lead Chaperones will take attendance before leaving. Once all students are loaded on the bus, collect the bus number sign and notify the bus driver/Band Directors that all students are accounted for and the bus is ready to leave.
Band Hall Arrival:
- Upon arrival to the school, instruct students to close the bus windows and pick up their trash. Once all students have exited the bus, check for any items or trash that may have been left behind. Stray uniform parts tend to be left (shoes, hats, music, and even the occasional instrument). Lost items found should be turned in to Lead Chaperones.
- Once off the bus, assist Trailer Crew with unloading the equipment trailer as needed. Many hands get the job done quickly!
- Chaperones must turn in their Booster Badge at the Chaperone check in/check out station. Lead Chaperones must turn in their assigned bus bag.
If you have any questions about these duties, please don’t hesitate to ask!
Thank you for volunteering!
Welcome to Chaperoning… It’s a little work, but a LOT of fun!